Welcome

Monday, February 28, 2011

Words we are likely to remember

AP Photo/Chris Carlson
Colin Firth accepts the Oscar for best performance by an actor
in a leading role for "The King's Speech" at the 83rd Academy Awards.

“The King’s Speech” was crowned best picture at last night’s Academy Awards but it also tops the list of most memorable Oscar quotes beginning with Colin Firth’s acceptance speech.

"I have a feeling my career's just peaked," said Firth, who earned the best-actor prize for his portrayal of the stammering British ruler George VI. "I'm afraid I have to warn you that I'm experience stirrings somewhere in the upper abdominals which are threatening to form themselves into dance moves."


Have you ever heard anyone say I think I’m going to be sick with such eloquence and grace?

And how about David Seidler, who at the age of 73, was awarded his first Oscar for best original screenplay?

"My father always said to me I'd be a late bloomer. I believe I'm the oldest person to win this award. I hope that record is broken quickly and often." Does that not encourage every other screenwriter, hoping to win such an honor?

All eyes were on Hollywood veteran David Fincher when Kathryn Bigelow, the first woman to earn a directing Oscar took the stage, thinking he was a shoe-in for his Facebook drama “The Social Network.” But instead, it was Tom Hooper, the relative big-screen newcomer, who is mostly known for classy TV dramas, who took home the industry’s top filmmaking prize.

AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
Geoffrey Rush congratulates Tom Hooper as he accepts the Oscar
for best achievement in directing
"I want to thank my wonderful actors, the triangle of man love - Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and me,” said Hooper. “And Helena, I hope that doesn't make you too jealous."

That’s the top of the list of quotes from Sunday night's 83rd annual Academy Awards at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. Below are a few more spoken words that are likely to be recalled this morning:

"I like going to bed after it's over. It's so stressful."
  - Elton John, at his 19th annual AIDS Foundation dinner.

"I thought they were fantastic. They were so relaxed."
- Hugh Jackman , about award hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway.

AP Photo/Matt Sayles
Christian Bale, left, best supporting actor, Natalie Portman, best actress, second from left, Melissa Leo, second from right, best supporting actress, and Colin Firth, best actor, pose backstage with their Oscars.
"The baby was definitely kicking a lot during the song portion of the show, a little dancer."
- Natalie Portman, best actress winner, in the backstage pressroom.

"In a room of talented, inspirational people, what the hell am I doing here next to you?"
  - Christian Bale, winner of the Oscar for best supporting actor.

"Forgive me, I must start by pointing out that three years after our horrific financial crisis caused by financial fraud, not a single financial executive has gone to jail, and that's wrong."
  - Charles Ferguson, winner of best documentary feature for "Inside Job."

"It's made me a better person. I'm more patient, more accommodating."
  - Sandra Bullock, when asked on the Oscar red carpet, about her role as a mother.

"I should've got a haircut."
- a somewhat shaggy-looking Luke Matheny , winner of the Oscar for live action short film for "God of Love."

"I never expected this after 48 years of acting ... I can't believe it."
- Jacki Weaver, nominee for best supporting actress for "Animal Kingdom," on the red carpet.

Despite all of the excitement and champagne Network censors only bleeped once: Melissa Leo dropped the F-word during her speech for best supporting actress for her role as a boxing clan's domineering matriarch. Backstage, she jokingly conceded it was, "probably a very inappropriate place to use that particular word."
 
Later that evening, on the red carpet at the Governors Ball, Oscar co-host Anne Hathaway said, "My favorite adult moment was when Melissa leo let the F-bomb rip. I went up to her and said 'you just set the tone for the show and gave us material forever'." 

The list of winners from the 83rd Annual Academy Awards:
1. Best Picture: "The King's Speech."
2. Actor: Colin Firth, "The King's Speech."
3. Actress: Natalie Portman, "Black Swan."
4. Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, "The Fighter."
5. Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo, "The Fighter."
6. Directing: Tom Hooper, "The King's Speech."
7. Foreign Language Film: "In a Better World," Denmark.
8. Adapted Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin, "The Social Network."
9. Original Screenplay: David Seidler, "The King's Speech."
10. Animated Feature Film: "Toy Story 3."
11. Art Direction: "Alice in Wonderland."
12. Cinematography: "Inception."
13. Sound Mixing: "Inception."
14. Sound Editing: "Inception."
15. Original Score: "The Social Network," Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
16. Original Song: "We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3," Randy Newman.
17. Costume Design: "Alice in Wonderland."
18. Documentary Feature: "Inside Job."
19. Documentary (short subject): "Strangers No More."
20. Film Editing: "The Social Network."
21. Makeup: "The Wolfman."
22. Animated Short Film: "The Lost Thing."
23. Live Action Short Film: "God of Love."
24. Visual Effects: "Inception."

AP contributed to this report

No comments:

Post a Comment